Sunday, 6 October 2013

Fr. Mychal Judge

On September 11, 2001 Fr. Mychal Judge, Chaplain for the New York City Fire Department, was going about his daily routine when he heard that a plane had struck one of the buildings of the World Trade Center. He grabbed his gear and went right to the scene.

The Chaplain usually stands at the Command Post to be available to the scene commander and also to be available if he is needed by one of the guys working the fire ground.  Fr. Mychal was in the lobby of the North Tower of the World Trade Center giving last rites to many of the dead.

At 9:59 am when the Tower collapsed, debris went flying through the air and Fr. Mychal was hit in the back of the head and killed instantly.  His body was found by a NYPD Lieutenant and 2 fire fighters, and they carried his body to nearby St. Peter’s Church and placed there before the altar.

Fr. Mychal died doing what he loved, “Serving Those Who Serve”. There is a short prayer that is attributed to Fr. Mychal:

“Lord take me where you want me to go:
Let me meet who you want me to meet:
Tell me what you want me to say:
And keep me out of your way.”

No comments:

Thanks, but no thanks!

We had a wonderful day yesterday starting with the awards ceremony where Ruth, our youngest child, received her degree - a 2:1- after thre...