Sunday, 3 March 2013

Patience

I am the most impatient man I know. From my youngest days I have struggled with waiting for anything and this has carried over into my ministry making life - and prayer - harder than it needs to be. But some lessons are hitting home. I love this reminder by Tozer that:
“God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which he must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves.” (A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God).

In other words faith is often best expressed in waiting rather than action. And there are many promises and encouragements in the Scriptures to hang tight until God decides to act. For example in Isaiah 40:31:
"...they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagle; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."  Or: "Blessed are all who wait for him!" Isaiah 30:18
So God knows my impatience and I know his patience. Learning to live with that is the key to Christian discipleship and a life resting in God.

No comments:

Church for beginners?

In her book "The Word on the Wind" Alison Morgan makes reference to a young woman Sharon who was a respondent to a survey about ...