Wednesday, 8 August 2012

John Stott's daily prayer

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” In his address at John Stott’s funeral, Christ Wright said that “It was John’s daily habit every morning on waking up to greet each person of the Holy Trinity with this prayer:

Heavenly Father, I pray that this day
I may live in your presence  and please you more and more.
Lord Jesus, I pray that this day
I may take up my cross and follow you.
Holy Spirit, I pray that this day
you will fill me with yourself and cause your fruit to ripen in my life.
Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Amen”

In addition I came across this insight into his daily regimen:

5am: study and prayer
8am: a big breakfast
12pm: lunch with housemates and friends
(he was a lifelong celibate and very intentional about fostering community)
1pm: 30 minute nap
(no later than) 10pm: Bed

No comments:

Anglicans again

I read this morning the following alarming statistics: "Only six per cent of British adults read or listen to the Bible, while 55 per...