Thursday, 18 November 2010

Greater love

In 1921 there broke out a jungle fire in the Himalayas. While most of the people around were busy putting it out, I noticed several men standing and looking fixedly into a tree.

“What are you looking at?” I asked.

They, in reply, pointed to a nest full of young birds in a tree whose branches were already burning. Above it, a bird was flying about in great distress.

They said, “We wish we could save that nest, but we cannot go near because of the blazing fire.”

A few minutes later the nest caught fire, and I thought, “Now the mother bird will fly away.”

Instead, to my great astonishment, I saw her fly down and spread her wings over the young ones. In a few minutes the bird was burnt to ashes, along with her youngsters.

I had never seen anything like it before, and I said to those standing near: “Are we not astonished at this wonderful love? Think how much more wonderful must be the love of Him Who has created such an unselfish love in His, creatures.”

Hannah W. Smith wrote, “But now I began to see that if I took all the unselfish love of every mother’s heart the whole world

No comments:

How do you grow a church?

How can you take a dying church and make it grow again? That is a $64,000 question hundreds of struggling ministers would love to know the...