Monday, 20 July 2009

Reading the Bible

I came across this prayer the other day by 5th century Saint Chrysostom "the golden-mouthed". It is a reminder that without God's help the Bible - His Word - remains a closed book.

"O Lord Jesus Christ, open Thou the eyes of my heart, that I may hear Thy word and understand and do Thy will, for I am a sojourner upon the earth. Hide not Thy commandments from me, but open my eyes, that I may perceive the wonders of Thy law. Speak unto me the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom. On Thee do I set my hope, O my God, that Thou shalt enlighten my mind and understanding with the light of Thy knowledge, not only to cherish those things which are written, but to do them; that in reading the lives and sayings of the saints I may not sin, but that such may serve for my restoration, enlightenment and sanctification, for the salvation of my soul, and the inheritance of life everlasting. For Thou art the enlightenment of those who lie in darkness, and from Thee cometh every good deed and every gift. Amen."

1 comment:

Judith Irene Matta said...

Dear Vicar Williams As a convert myself, I encourage you to enter into the Holy Orthodox Faith. After much prayer, we met a wonderful patristic teacher in the person of Archbishop Lazar who has Synaxis Press (www.orthodoxcanada.org) with excellent works. Highly recommended - after preparations and participating in a parish for a year or so (the cycle of Pascha) one can then partake of the Holy Mysteries giving us Strength of the Holy Spirit. As charismatics, we have never experienced such power . Usually the Greek Orthodox are best in theology. My husband (now a priest) and I insisted on Orthodox Baptism because of "One Faith One Baptism" - again there is tremendous grace of God given in this Mystery. We must warn about some of the strange, gnostic mythologies like toll-houses in the Russian/Serbians here, so we avoid these persons and their parishes. Our "Journey into Orthodoxy" is on youtube.com under Judith Irene Matta (my name). God bless and keep you in His Way, especially during this Holy Nativity Season. We would be so interested in hearing about your journey - always asking His Holy Spirit to guide your steps as He does our own.

Thanks, but no thanks!

We had a wonderful day yesterday starting with the awards ceremony where Ruth, our youngest child, received her degree - a 2:1- after thre...